Start a new topic

Beorg SCHEDULED format incorrectly displays in Emacs Org agenda

Hi,

When I add a scheduled task with a start and end time, Beorg formats it as:

SCHEDULED: <2024-05-03 Fri 17:00>--<2024-05-03 Fri 18:00>

Whereas when I schedule a task in Emacs, it's formatted as:

SCHEDULED: <2024-05-03 Fri 17:00-18:00>

Both of these appear in the agenda, but Beorg's format creates a duplicate entry like:

Whereas Emacs' entry displays as I would expect it to:

This is a little time-consuming to have to manually edit Beorg's entry in Emacs so it appears in the agenda as a single-line entry. It seems impossible to change this behavior in Beorg as when I manually edit SCHEDULED to be consistent with what Emacs expects, Beorg changes it back when I save the task.

I'm assuming this is a bug, is it not? Are there any plans to change this behavior, or is there a workaround to achieve consistency between Emacs and Beorg? So:

• I don't have to spend time editing SCHEDULED in Emacs.
  • My agenda view isn't crowded by duplicate and incomplete entries that aren't needed.
  • Or so Emacs will operate similar to Beorg in this regard. (Maybe my least preferred option as I have a TON of tasks in Org.)
I write "crowded" because I have a lot in my agenda view and screen real estate is at a premium (laptop display), and "incomplete" because the duplicate entry doesn't contain the time range, it only shows the start time.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

This is something I need to resolve. I'll give this a bump up the priority list.

An update on this - I have a fix in place in the code. Once I've done some more testing will be part of the next update.

Why are you "scheduling" a task with a start and end date.  Shouldn't that be "SCHEDULED" at the start date (ie. when you should start paying attention to the task) and "DEADLINE" at the end date (ie. when it must be done)?  Alternatively, for meetings (vacations, phone calls, etc), it's better to just set "Show On" (ie. "C-c ." in Emacs).

Login or Signup to post a comment