Start a new topic

Problem to Pin files that are far into subdirectories or long name

There seems to have a problem to pin a file when the file path is long. I have a tree with projects and subprojects and then files into them. When I try to pin a file that is far into the subdirectories, then when I open a pinned file, beorg shows no content inside the file.

Sometimes, when I reduce the file name, then this fix the problem and the pinned file can be opened correctly.

For example, here is a file path that break:

orgdirectory/notes/W-Vxxxxx/Vxxxxx-Events/20230605-SerieCxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx/Vxxxxx-20230605-XxxxXxxxxx-XxxxXxxxxx.org

The problem appear from the "Notes" and "Files" tabs

Thanks for reporting this, I will take a look.

Hello

I've started looking into your issue. I've not yet been able to reproduce this issue, however I have yet to try this on a device having so far just tried this in the iOS Simulator.

Here is the directory structure I've created:

% tree
.<span class="fr-marker" data-id="0" data-type="false" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"></span><span class="fr-marker" data-id="0" data-type="true" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"></span>
├── init.org
├── orgdirectory
│   └── notes
│       └── W-Vxxxxx
│           └── Vxxxxx-Events
│               └── 20230605-SerieCxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx
│                   └── Vxxxxx-20230605-XxxxXxxxxx-XxxxXxxxxx.org

I then pinned the file and observed this working correctly.

Which sync method are you using? I'm assuming that you can navigate the folder structure in beorg to view the file after a sync has taken place. I know Dropbox has a path limit of about 260 characters, and just checking that this issue isn't related to sync and path lengths rather than how beorg is saving this pin, before I investigate further. Thanks!

Kind Regards

Matthew

Dear Matthew,

I'm syncing to a local directory using Syncthing (Möbius Sync). So the file is local and I can access it in the Files app (in the On My Device section).

I just did another test and I'm joining a file that does that when inserted at this path:

org/notes/W-Xxxxxx/Vxxxxx-Events/_20230101-Testing-Here-For-Test/20230101-Test-1234567890.org

And to make sure that you understand correctly the problem, the problem is not to pin the file, but it's to access the content in it. When the file path is too long, the pinned file opens an empty file, but when accessed normally inside the directory it is correct.

I'm also attaching 2 screen captures of the file when opened from inside its folder and from the pinned file (the one with the "g" has the title is the pinned one.

Thanks and all the best!

IMG2575.PNG
(163 KB)
IMG2574.PNG
(211 KB)
org
(58 Bytes)
Login or Signup to post a comment