Start a new topic

Slow input from external keyboard in Beorg

Hi. 

I am mostly using my iPad Air 2 with a logitech Keys-to-go external keyboard. When I use Beorg and input text into any field I get really slow response. It takes 0.5-1-5 seconds between pressing a key on the keyboard until it shows up on the screen. This issue has been consistent through IOS 13 and 14, it is the same issue with a apple magic keyboard that I tried with and this is not an issue in other apps. I would love for this issue to be solved so that I can actually take notes in Beorg when I only have my ipad with me. Any other information I can give to help solve this issue?

YES!  This fixes the issue.  Thank you SO much, this will make my notetaking so much easier!

OK, that time I got it! Beta is installed, I will let you know! Thank you!!

I've told TestFlight to resend the invite. I have sent the invite to the email address you used on the forum. If there is a different one to use please email me directly at mgkennard@appsonthemove.com.

There may be some delay, but I have not received the TestFlight invite yet.

There is a TestFlight build which should improve typing speed quite significantly. You should have received a TestFlight invite, please let me know if this new build helps your issue.

I have managed to reproduce this and am working through fixing this bug, which I hope to finish next week. If you'd like to help test the fix let me know and I'll send you a TestFlight invite once I've got everything working.

(This bug was caused by how beorg handles keyboard shortcuts, and how those shortcuts can be customised via Scheme. I'm having a little problem not breaking some keyboard shortcuts with my fix, but I'm sure I can resolve that!)

No, I have also taken extensive notes in OneNote without keyboard lag, and use this device for a significant amount of text entry in many other apps.  Beorg is the only one where I see this behavior.  Sorry!  

Thank you posting this video. I will look into this again and try to think what might be causing this slowdown. I don't have an iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard to reproduce this on, however do have a number of other Bluetooth keyboards. I'm guessing you never have any issues with any other apps?

I have noticed this issue as well, I take a lot of notes on my iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard (iPad7,3; model A1701, iOS 14.3).  Attached is a video.  I also do not customize with init.org.

mp4

I am sorry but not had any opportunity to make a video yet but I will try for that in the coming weekend. Will be shaky iPhone video of my iPad while typing with one hand so be warned. 

And no, I have not changed anything through init.org, I have only changed settings available in the graphical settings screen in the app. 

If you are able to create a video demonstrating the slow text entry that would be great. If it could show entry into a variety of fields.

Have you created an init.org file to customise beorg? If so have you changed any of the keyboard shortcuts or the text editor commands?

Login or Signup to post a comment