Start a new topic

3.7.1 experimental subfolders

Has anyone had any success enabling the experimental subfolders with iCloud?

I'm having trouble syncing in the app even though I have made changes in my org dir and I'm not sure if it is an issue with the feature or my unfamiliarity with iCloud syncing. I'm used to Dropbox.

One issue is that I can see my the directory "roam", but there are no files in it.

How did you enable experimental subfolders? Does beorg allow subfolders now? I would be so happy if we could have that feature!

In the latest release of beorg you can enable support for subfolders if you are using WebDAV (also iCloud but a few issues). To do so add the following to your beorg init.org:

(set! sync-subfolders #t)

When you then restart beorg you'll see a new notes tab (which shows files from a notes directory you can configure on the Settings tab) and the ability to navigate and manage folders on the files tab. You can also refer to the folders in template filenames.

Let me know how you get on!

2 people like this
Hi Mathew, I am using Dropbox. Got sub folder and Notes tab. Beorg creates new files in the sub folder but does not see them after sync, though the files actually stay in the Dropbox. Thanks for your help.

At the moment subfolders is only implemented for WebDAV and iCloud. I'm hoping to complete the work on the other sync systems (Dropbox and Box) soon-ish and make generally available in beorg. I'll be releasing beta builds as and when Dropbox is supported.

2 people like this

Nice feature! I was testing it with org-roam -- are the file links supposed to work? As clicking them doesn't seem to open the linked note (I didn't yet do much debugging).

If you can provide some examples of files links you'd expect to work that would be great.

Just logged in to make this suggestion, happy to see it's being worked on! 

Can someone help clarify how and when you would use the notes feature? I see it creates a new note file and you have the ability to add sub items. How can I use this to improve productivity? I want to use it — but am just having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around it. Thanks for any input.

beorg is still some way from being an efficient app to use for note taking, the current feature set is very much geared around task management. The subfolders and note tab is sort-of experimental and I'm happy to take feedback on how people would use this. The notes feature is intended eventually to work along the lines of Org roam - with a separate file for each note and an easy way to link between them. If you currently use Org roam in Emacs then the Notes tab may prove useful.

I just created an account to share my vote on this feature request. Subfolders in Dropbox is the only missing feature for me as unfortunately I have to split my notes between folders (I have around 1500 files). Most of them are notes, and I understand that Beorg is a Task manager, but I use it for two things:

1. To read my org files (only in the root).

2. To quickly add something to my inbox, so I can process it later on computer.

I don't really need any sophisticated note taking system, reading is what I care :) Sure, it would be great to have some basic org-roam support (especially for searching for title, tag or alias), but even without this subfolders would be a killer feature :) I would definitely buy it as a paid extension.

Matthew, please let me know what you are interested in. Maybe I can share some more information to help you out?

Thanks for you input Boris. Do you ever add dates to items in your notes folder and expect them to appear in the agenda? It sounds as though with that number of files there would need to be a feature to turn off examining files when constructing the agenda and scheduling notifications.

Hi Matthew, Thanks again for the great app. I was initially another great app of yours - Trunk Notes for notes (mostly meeting notes) and for tasks. Later I switched to Beorg, eveloped tones of functions and was happy. Now, as you asked about the suggestions for the notes features, my wishlist became as infinite as human greed. I understand that it is way too much, however, maybe, at least something makes sense. Here it is: - [ ] Compatibility with tasks: same tag list, same properties, common search - [ ] Easy conversion: notes to tasks and task to notes - [ ] Making task from a line in notes (action items from meetings) - [ ] Tracking of action items - [ ] Easy cross-references between notes and tasks - [ ] Easy navigation through notes and tasks (similar to Trunk Notes) - [ ] Participants lists with capability to track their meetings attendance and action items (maybe that is too much, sorry) - [ ] Call back from other applications to open specific note or task - [ ] Capability of html display for notes (similar to the one that is implemented in tasks) - [ ] Option to use the same customized keyboard (with user defined functions) in tasks and in notes!!! - [ ] Metadata (created date, modified date and more) for tasks and notes similar to Trunk Notes. (Currently Beorg has a creation date option but when it is on it makes drawers not working. I made a function that automatically puts these data into property drawer if it is not already there or updates it if it already exists when a button is pushed. However, you have to go to notes screen and to push a button on the keyboard and then save the note. Would be nice for that to work automatically when safe button pushed. Thank you so much for the great app again and for your patience. Stay safe. Sergei

Thanks for adding this to the forum Sergei. I've reformatted this for easier reading:

- [ ] Compatibility with tasks: same tag list, same properties, common search 
- [ ] Easy conversion: notes to tasks and task to notes 
- [ ] Making task from a line in notes (action items from meetings) 
- [ ] Tracking of action items 
- [ ] Easy cross-references between notes and tasks 
- [ ] Easy navigation through notes and tasks (similar to Trunk Notes) 
- [ ] Participants lists with capability to track their meetings attendance and action items (maybe that is too much, sorry) 
- [ ] Call back from other applications to open specific note or task 
- [ ] Capability of html display for notes (similar to the one that is implemented in tasks) 
- [ ] Option to use the same customized keyboard (with user defined functions) in tasks and in notes!!! 
- [ ] Metadata (created date, modified date and more) for tasks and notes similar to Trunk Notes. (Currently Beorg has a creation date option but when it is on it makes drawers not working. I made a function that automatically puts these data into property drawer if it is not already there or updates it if it already exists when a button is pushed. However, you have to go to notes screen and to push a button on the keyboard and then save the note. Would be nice for that to work automatically when safe button pushed. 

Matthew, I am sorry, notifications from this site hit my spam folder and I only checked it now.

Do you ever add dates to items in your notes folder and expect them to appear in the agenda?

I have Project notes that contain TODOs with or without date, so I can see them in agenda (I have some custom queries). 

> It sounds as though with that number of files there would need to be a feature to turn off examining files when constructing the agenda and scheduling notifications. 

Exactly. For Emacs I did the optimisation where I actually query only files marked as Project. This list is updated on save (and can be built on demand). So I optimise read path during my writes :) 

Login or Signup to post a comment