Start a new topic

Notifications Not Working

beorg 3.6.2 (190)

iOS 13.5.1

Hi,

My notifications are currently not working. I have checked the Notifications tab in Settings, and Beorg notifications are enabled. 

I currently have my "Timed task reminders (minutes)" set to 30, however it seems that the application is scheduling the notifications four hours too late. For example, I have a TODO reminding me of my morning run at 8:00, which mean a notification scheduled at 7:30, but the log states that it's scheduled for "2020-06-22 11:30:00 +0000". All event notifications are consistently four hours late on the log. Overdue tasks aren't showing a red badge on the side either.

The app was working fine, this only started recently.

Thanks,

Juan

1 person has this problem

Wait, I got a notification today for a task!  I'm at work now and can't research why this one worked and the test notification did not.

Sorry for the noise.  I am so happy it worked. Whew.

I made a test entry and I'm not getting a notification either.  It's red in beorg now, since the time has come and gone.  Here's the text of the entry:

* TODO Test notifications
SCHEDULED: <2022-10-24 Mon 18:20>

in inbox.org.

My entire use of org more is predicated on beorg working, because I intend to use it to notify me of due todos.  What can I do to help find and fix this?

Thank you volunteering to help test the fix for this problem. I've invited you to the TestFlight beta. Let me know how you get on.

same problem here, the notification function hardly(it did notify me several times) worked in the past week. Could you add me to testflight list too?

That sounds fine because if I have 64 or more  notifications scheduled over the next week I'll be working through them and I am sure I can work with "only" 64 scheduled notifications. Thanks for explaining.

That's great news!

beorg manages notifications as follows:

• It gathers a list of all the notifications it would like to schedule for the next two months
  • It sorts those into order so the next notification to be shown is at the front of the queue
  • Then it schedules notifications for the first 64 from this list

It does this process every time you open beorg, and every time any files are updated. beorg asks iOS to fetch any updates to files in the background - and it is likely that iOS will allow beorg to run in the background and do these updates at least once per day.

So if you were to open beorg on day 1 and had 64 notifications scheduled over the next week, and then didn't open beorg again - and iOS didn't want to allow beorg to open in the background at all - then you would find after those 64 notifications had been exhausted that you wouldn't receive any more. However in practice if you open beorg before all 64 notifications have been shown then you'll find that this limitation never becomes an issue.

As beorg doesn't have any serverside resources it can't rely on a server sending push notifications so has to contend with the limitations of 'local' notifications. This however is mostly a benefit of beorg because it doesn't send your org files anywhere you haven't explicitly chosen it (e.g. iCloud, Dropbox, Box - or your own server using WebDAV if you prefer no third parties were involved in storing your data).

1 person likes this

Matthew, All Day notifications worked perfectly this morning and the scheduled notifications continue to work as expected. Thank you for resolving this issue so promptly.

I am still interested to know if, say 150,  scheduled notifications would continue to work.

Thanks again.

Ian

Matthew, I installed 3.9.1 last night and it hasn't missed a notification since. I have 70 scheduled notifications listed in log-contents. I note the problem occurred if there were more than 64 scheduled notifications in a 2 month period and wonder what the upper limit is now. I ask because when I am planning a trip I would probably have another 50-60 items most of which would be scheduled along with my usual 65-75 items.

I haven't yet tested all day items but have created a couple for tomorrow and will confirm they worked tomorrow. Thanks for responding so promptly.

Ian

Sorry Matthew, have just installed 3.9.0. Have added beorg to my TestFlight and will test 3.9.1 as soon as I can. Thanks.

Thanks Matthew. Have just installed it on my iPhone and I'll let you know, probably Wednesday,

I've invited you to TestFlight and there should be a fix shortly - look out for 3.9.1 which is with Apple for review at the moment. Thanks for confirming my theory. I'm looking forward to hearing whether this fixes the problem for you.

As you suggested the first of the two new scheduled notifications didn't fire and the second one did fire.

Am happy to help test the fix through TestFllight when you have it ready.

Again, thanks for responding so promptly.

Have a good weekend.

Ian

I tried with two new scheduled notifications but neither fired however I already had an existing overdue notification which may have interefered so I'll try again shortly and ensure the two new notifications are due before any others.

Thank you for providing answers to my questions. I think, on a further review of the code, it might indicate the issue. It would be helpful if you could try the following experiment - schedule two notifications to happen relatively soon. If my theory as to the issue is correct then the second will fire but not the first. If this is the issue then I should be able to implement a fix early next week. If you would like to help test this fix then I can provide a TestFlight invite to a test build.

The answers are the same for both my iPad & iPhone

• IOS version 14.3
  • beorg 3.8.1 (216)
  • 70 notifications in total
  • The example provided was the first notification in the log file. (Did I understand your question correctly?)
  • Doesn't seem to matter if beorg is open and on screen or if I am using another app. If boerg is open and on screen nothing happens at all until beorg is closed and reopened and then the overdue status appears in red. If beorg is closed nothing seems to happen, no alert and the icon badge count doesn't change.
  • Settings are the same for both iPad & iPhone; Alerts for Lock Screen, Notifications, Banners (temporary), Sounds & Badges on, show Previews always
  • I have restarted both devices more than once and it made no difference. Also uninstalled & reinstalled beorg on my iPad and that too failed to resolve the issue.
Am happy to have a look at anything you suggest trying. I did wonder if changes I made to my init file might be interferring so removed it and restarted beorg but that made no difference either.

Thanks for responding promptly, I do appreciate it.

Ian
Login or Signup to post a comment