Start a new topic

Beorg removes empty lines between headings on sync

From what I understand Beorg should not remove the empty lines between subtrees i.e.

* Level 1

** Level 2

** Level 2

< empty space

* Level 1

** Level 2

** Level 2

but when I update an item from the agenda screen, sync via dropbox, and revert the buffer in Emacs the space between my headings is removed:

* Level 1

** Level 2

** Level 2

* Level 1

** Level 2

** Level 2

This makes it more difficult to read my file as I prefer some empty space to delineate the subtrees.

3 people have this problem

This is on my list of things to improve. I think there is another forum topic about this. Currently beorg does remove leading and trailing blank lines from what it thinks are the 'notes' sections which is causing your blank lines to disappear. Ideally I want to allow users to specify that they like a certain number of blank lines to delineate headlines so that when you add new items in beorg it will format it for you automatically.

Cool, I will look forward to that feature.

How are we doing on this? I use one main org document and use spaces to make things clearer. It's really frustrating that Beorg deletes them all.

You can add the following to your init.org to have beorg add newlines between headlines:

(set! beorg-add-newline-between-headlines #t)

Let me know how you get on with that and if it improves things for you.

1 person likes this

Thank Matthew, but that doesn't seem to make any difference?

Ok my bad! I forgot to wrap it in src!

It does work, thank you.

Is there a possibility to change the blank line at different level headers or have it only create a blank line at certain level headers?

That sounds like it would be a good enhancement. This isn't currently possible, but I'll consider this in the future.

Login or Signup to post a comment