Start a new topic

Encryption support

What about encryption support? I've found only one same feature request  https://appsonthemove.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/14000013330

I agree about unauthorised access to own mobile phone, but what about unencrypted sensitive orgfiles in sharing services (Dropbox / nextcloud / etc.)? It needs for easy syncing orgfiles between devices. For example, MobileOrg has org-mobile support (https://mobileorg.github.io/documentation/#encryption). But will be great has support for standard emacs org encryption - gpg files.

P.S. Support pin / touch id /face id is a nice privacy optional feature, but it's an another case.

3 people like this idea

I do plan on eventually including PGP encryption so as to be compatible with how this works generally in Emacs / Org mode (https://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/encrypting-files.html). No ETA yet though on this being implemented, but I have started doing some research on what's required.

3 people like this

Cool! Thanks for your work. We're waiting for it...

1 person likes this

I also like to see encryption support. Although personally I would prefer something like Cryptomator and a popular sync method, e.g. Dropbox, Box, ...

GPG is fine but it's awkward to use.

Any encryption added in beorg will try to be compatible with how people use encryption in Emacs generally. It would be interesting to here from users how they do use encryption to give me more of a steer on this. I hadn't heard of Cryptomator and whilst it sounds interesting might be a little too niche - but I'm happy to be persuaded otherwise!

2 people like this

Fair point. I guess people who use Emacs & orgmode will finally also figure out how gpg works. :-) It's better to stick with established and common solutions.

It would be really great to have in Beorg.

Can we send "donations" and earmark them for developing encryption?

I would really like make this happen!

It's tricky to have tips for developing specific features. Mostly because the volume of such tips would likely be way short of developing such a feature. For example if it cost the equivalent of $2000 to add basic support for encryption (based on the time I would spend doing that vs time I would otherwise spend on client projects) it would take a lot of tips to properly make a dent in that and push adding encryption support up the priorities list.

The best way to increase the priority for a feature is getting people to post on forum topics such as this. So if you are active on social media (such as Twitter or Reddit) then ask people there to add to this forum post. If I see a sizeable number of people requesting encryption support then I'll push it up the priority list. If of course I succeed at some point in accelerating user growth in beorg and the income it generates then that will also make it much more likely features will get implemented more quickly - as I'll be able to spend more time in a month on beorg development and less on developing apps for third parties.

Saying the above I do intend on implementing something like this at some stage. I personally would use this as I keep some credentials for servers, etc in my Org mode files where related to my freelance client work - and currently I can't view these in beorg.

Just adding an extra vote for this. My use case is just having certain files that I don't want to have unencrypted in my Dropbox account (really just a journal). Just an extra level of security. Doesn't really have to have face id, etc.

Would happily take this as another paid feature in the app btw. Just finished purchasing a few others. Thanks for the great work. So glad to finally have good access my org files on my phone.

+1 also.  I used MobileOrg for a long time but hesitated to try the obviously superior (active development!) BeOrg for months due to concern about lack of encryption.

Like Greg above, I'm mainly concerned w having unencrypted files in a Dropbox or iCloud account.  I realize I could get same effect with org-crypt style subtree encryption, if beOrg supported that, but really just interested in having an easy way to encrypt all my org files while in cloud storage.

(one problem with org-crypt style, at least for my use cases and privacy concerns, is it makes simple searching harder)

1 person likes this

+1 too. I use MobileOrg  and Emacs with encryption and would love to dump it for BeOrg. I can't without encryption though. I've got nextcloud working  for replacing dropbox and use cryptomator which works fine, but obviously can't read an org file.

Please add encryption

Please do add encryption.  Perhaps even just a subset of GPG with only symmetric file encryption support?

I'm going to start looking into this a little more - not necessarily simple to develop this to suit everyones needs so no ETA on this feature. There is also potentially more paperwork when doing stuff related to encryption unfortunately which makes this a little more daunting to approach!

2 people like this

Signed up to say yes please to GPG encryption with Beorg!

Login or Signup to post a comment