Start a new topic

Drawers support

Drawers are a standard feature of org mode described in the manual https://orgmode.org/manual/Drawers.html They look like: ** This is a headline Still outside the drawer :DRAWERNAME: This is inside the drawer. :END: After the drawer. They can be folded or unfolded with the usual visibility cycling. On Android orgzly they are supported, and I use them there to hide code that is emacs dependent. Presently beorg simply ignore them. Drawers are also used for PROPERTIES, which are also ignored by beorg. It would be nice to add them at least in visibility cycling to ensure compatibility with beorg and orgzly.

2 people like this idea

I have started work on support for drawers, including special recognition of PROPERTIES and LOGBOOK drawers. Such drawers will be hidden by default when exporting files/items and in notifications. You'll certainly be able to search for items with specific properties - for example "t shopping r shop supermarket" will find times tagged with "Shopping" and where a property "SHOP" is set to "Supermarket" (note search will be case insensitive).

This is likely to be released at the end of July/beginning of August.

3 people like this

I do plan on recognising and supporting drawers in a future release. I'll take a look at how Orgzly presents these to the user as part of planning how I intend this to work. Support the PROPERTIES drawer will enable a number of additional features so I am keen to do this relatively soon.

3 people like this

Thank you for the reminder about this feature request - "near future" has long gone! I will look to include some functionality similar to this in the next update (I've just added the code for this so this is much more definite than last time!)

1 person likes this

In beorg this is called org-log-into-drawer - setting that to something other than #f will log state changes and clock/timer entries. Note that clock/timer entries default to LOGBOOK so even if #f they get put into a drawer.

1 person likes this
Many thanks! Looking forward to full drawers support and much more! Thanks and good luck!

1 person likes this

Thanks for the clarification on this request. I guess there are a number of things to implement:

1. Getting beorg to parse drawers and then update/read the property drawer programatically

2. In the outliner there should be a way of expanding/collapsing drawers

3. When HTML is rendered (for use when showing notes in the item editor and for document export) drawers should be hidden as it doesn't make sense to show them here

1 person likes this

One feature for drawers that would be particularly nice for me would be logging repeated tasks into the :LOGGING: drawer as right now I do have the option logdrawer set in my orgmode files but when I mark repeating tasks off as done in beorg, it puts it outside of the logging drawer which also seems to lead to all sorts of other problems when working directly with orgmode. That said, this is less of a needed feature as a simple fix would just be to not log it into a drawer - but I do find this feature quite useful especially with tasks that use the "habit" style.

1 person likes this
Fantastic, thanks for being so responsive!

Thank you for your reply, Matthew. I was imprecise in my original post. My aim is to log repeating tasks in Beorg into the same LOGBOOK drawer Emacs uses. TODO state changes logged in Beorg are currently logged directly beneath TODO headings. I assumed I could use  (defvar org-log-into-drawer #t)--similar to the way I use 'log-to-drawer' in Emacs-- but that doesn't achieve the desired functionality. I find myself in the same position as Stephen Walsh; I have to move 'text around after a completion ticked in Beorg.' If the functionality I'm seeking isn't available in Beorg, that's okay, but if it is, could you point me in the direction of a solution? And sorry for hijacking this thread. 

In your init.org you should be able to do (for example):

(set! org-log-into-drawer "LOGBOOK")

or similar. The default for this is #f which tells beorg not to log entries into a drawer.

Check out https://www.beorg.app/manual/library-org/ for the default org file beorg loads which sets up the variables you can modify.

I believe that there are many people really need this feature just like me !

Looking forward to folding drawer support.

I just tried to create an `init.org` file and just added the following content:

```

* Drawer

#+begin_src scheme

(toast "init loaded" "logbook")

(set! org-log-into-drawer "LOGBOOK")

#+end_src

```

I don't see the toast at the startup of beorg (even if I close it and reopen it).

And apparently the option to log into the drawer does not appear to work.

I am missing something?

I would definitely like to support drawers in general and PROPERTIES specifcally... I'd love to be able to write scheme filters against things like "style: habit" or "effort: 0:05" or other common uses of properties.

I'm going to try toying around with scheme to see if I can come up with a way of capturing just the properties drawer, but it's a bit clunky to play in that sandbox now without even a console.log equivalent.

It would also probably be best if drawers were ignored when showing push notificatons of scheduled items

I often have todo items that are like...

* headline that i'd like to see
SCHEDULED: <2019-07-11 Thu>
:PROPERTIES:
stuff_i_care_about: 0
:END:
body text that would be better to show than the properties drawer

It's been a minute since revisiting this issue. I'm happy to help out if I can, but even with the latest app version, I'm still not seeing repeated events log into the LOGBOOK.

Login or Signup to post a comment