Start a new topic

TODO items marked DONE but with CLOSED timestamp

I love the easy TODO/DONE swipe-switching in the TODO view of the app. The drawback is that in beorg when a TODO is converted to DONE, no `CLOSED: [timestamp]` is inserted, like it would be in Emacs.

4 people like this idea

+1 for task state change logging, including for repeated tasks.

4 people like this

I'm going to take a look at this relatively soon. I'm probably going to delegate this to a Scheme method and provide a sensible default implementation - then users with a more custom workflow can replace the Scheme implementation with their own as they see fit.

3 people like this

I'd written the code for this when adding support for CLOSED timestamps and notes it just needed a little more testing. This should be available in the next update.

2 people like this

Thanks @Matthew Kennard for adding the CLOSED timestamp line for DONE tasks in the latest update. Beorg is now so close to being  an app that I live in. I still handle all task completion in org-mode since there's no automated way to log state changes for repeating tasks, so I end up not using beorg all that often. The ability to log DONE for repeating tasks would be a total game changer.

1 person likes this

That's so exciting to hear. Looking forward to the next release!

1 person likes this
Awesome—looking forward to this. I think task completion logging, including repeated tasks, would be a huge help. Logging other state changes, e.g., TODO -> WAITING, is a much lower priority that can certainly be relegated to Scheme methods. Thank you so much for this project!

1 person likes this

beorg 2.14.1 will log state changes when recurring tasks are closed - this will probably be released this week, just waiting on approval from Apple. beorg doesn't yet have support for property drawers so won't include the LAST_REPEAT yet - but that will be coming in a future update.

1 person likes this

@Kevin good points about more general state change logging and repeated tasks. 

1 person likes this

Take a look at https://beorg.app/manual/library-org/ which summarises the options available to configure beorg. You are probably looking for 

org-log-into-drawer, which by default is set to #f rather than a drawer name.

Christian - I missed your comment when you originally posted it. I've added some code to handle the per-item property LOGGING when set to nil so that it doesn't add any state transition notes.

1 person likes this

I'm going to get those live on the website today :)

I can’t thank you enough @Matthew Kennard for this latest addition (repeated task state logging). It took me a while to get around to thanking you because I’ve been so engrossed in customizing my beorg workflow now that I practically live in your app. By far my favorite app. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Kevin!

Just wanted to add that I also would like to have closing time stamps for recurring tasks. Without them it's not possible to see when the last occurences were.

Personally I prefer orgmode standard behaviour for those time stamps and probably a status for each keyword change would be nice as well.

Then I am looking forward to get it. I am also in your testflight group and maybe it will be available as beta soon. :-)

Login or Signup to post a comment