Start a new topic

Timestamps with both repeater and special warning period not understood as timestamps

When you have an item with a DEADLINE that includes both a repeater and a special warning period, such as DEADLINE: <2018-12-31 Mon 09:00 +1w -1d>, it seems to not be detected as a timestamp. Such items will not appear in the agenda view at all, and will appear in the TODO view, when you filter by "No Dates".

2 people have this problem

Agrreed having warning period flags (e.g., -3d) support is a must. 

Thank you.

Thanks for explaining the difference, Luis.

1 person likes this
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately using „show on“ does not automatically show the item on the following day if you do not move it there. Using deadlines with warning periods shows the item on every day in the warning period until it is marked as done.

1 person likes this

If you use "Show On" date (with repeat) ahead of the Deadline date it will appear before the Deadline and not be marked as as overdue. 

+1 by me for warning period support (e.g. DEADLINE: <2018-12-31 Mon 09:00 +1w -1d>)

It would allow the creation of repeated deadline tasks that show up in the agenda beforehand. You can use a repeated scheduled date in addition to the repeated deadline to make them show up beforehand, but then they are marked as overdue (and displayed in red) when you do not complete them on the scheduled date. Using a repeated deadline with a warning period allows you to be informed about the task without being forced to do it that day (as it will not be marked as overdue if you don't).

bump, support for date range definition, e.g. '.+2d/3d' would be nice!

Same Issue here, please Support Org habit syntax '.+2d/3d'.  Or maybe at least make it show correctly in Agenda and TODO, which cannot show currently.

2 people like this

You should find that beorg understands ranges such as...

<2018-12-31 Mon 09:00-10:00>

<2018-12-31 Mon>--<2018-01-05 Sat>

... and should display these as expected in the agenda.

Currently there isn't a specific UI for editing these - that is in my list of things to implement. You can edit these manually, either in the item notes or when editing the plain text of a file in beorg.

1 person likes this
Does BeOrg also handle time ranges for meeting times? Something like: <2018-12-31 Mon 09:00-10:00> How do you enter those into BeOrg?

Sorry for it taking a while for your comment to be approved - I'm new to this particular forum software and not quite sure how it selects which comments require moderation.

The latest beorg on the App Store now supports this feature as described in the manual. I updated the manual prior to the app update being approved.

I just read in the manual (https://beorgapp.com/manual/) that "When a repeated task is marked as done beorg will change the date to when it should next be completed."

Also,  a bit further: "To set a date to repeat:

Tap the Repeat… button at the bottom of the date dialog."

None of these features seem to appear in the current release of beorg. I assume the manual is ahead of the released version?

I'll look at adding support (in addition to special warning periods) for org-habit like timestamps in a future update. Is anyone aware of any additional timestamp formats for which it would be useful to also have support?

In response to the above messages, my report here is not about repeater functionality. It's about timestamps that have a special warning period not being recognized as timestamps at all.

Likewise,  timestamps such as <2019-01-07 Mon +30d/90d>, typically used with org-habit, are not recognized. Items scheduled in this way don't show in the agenda view, and do show in the TODO view with the "No dates" filter, contrary to user expectation.

I think it would be important to first have these recognized as just regular timestamps, even if ignoring any special warning periods, habit windows or repeaters, just so that any existing timestamps that I have created via emacs are interpreted correctly on beorg.

Thank you

1 person likes this

Currently the special warning periods are not supported. A repeater however should be recognized and used for displaying tasks in the agenda.

The next update to beorg will handle a repeater in that the state will be reset to TODO (i.e. the first todo action state, or the value of org-todo-repeat-to-state) and the date correctly updated based on the repeater type. There will also be a UI to create and modify repeaters for dates.

Apparently repeater also doe not work for mr. the item is recognized but does not repeat...
Login or Signup to post a comment