Start a new topic

Links in titles of TODO items

I often end up putting links in the titles of my todo items. Is it possible for beorg to render an actionable link if it’s in the title?

2 people have this problem

So that beorg can recognise links in the titles of todo items surround by [[ and ]]. For example [[https://beorgapp.com]].

You can also provide a description, for example [[https://beorgapp.com][Link to the beorg website]].

Coming soon the next version of beorg you will be able to better link to other files in beorg. Here are some examples:

[[inbox]] - link to inbox.org

[[inbox.org]] - link to inbox.org

[[file:inbox.org]] - link to inbox.org

[[inbox::Maybe tasks]] - link to the item "Maybe tasks" in the file inbox.org

[[::Top Priority]] - link to the item "Top Priority" only for the current file

2 people like this

That's great Matthew, thanks! The links that seems to get the most mangled are the links to emails I save from mu4e which have this format:

[[mu4e:msgid:MSG_ID_HERE][Title of link]] 

Will that format work in a title in the upcoming version?

In the latest development code for the link for provided beorg will render it as follows (i.e. it won't change it and will show verbatim):

It is whether it is best to leave unchanged unrecognised links or just to show the link text - although beorg wouldn't be able to link to mu4e messages so it might be clearer to users to just leave unchanged and not replace with a link.

Having it shown verbatim makes it difficult to process via Siri shortcuts or other programs like Pythonista.

Is your preference then for links which beorg can't handle just to render the provided description? So in your example beorg would just show "Title of link" without any actual link? Or it could be that there is a link which when tapped says "beorg cannot handle this". Although in your comment you reference processing via Pythonsita - in that case the raw text in the Org file would be processed rather than any rendering by beorg. If I've not understood you correctly please provide another example.

I apologize for not being clear. My desired behavior is to render a tappable link that I can tap + hold to pull up a share menu to then process via Pythonista/Shortcuts etc. Worse case if I tapped the link it would say "Beorg cannot handle this". 

Thanks for the clarification Adam. I'll add this as a task to look at in the future release.

Hi Matthew,

I hope you and your family are doing well!

I am trying to add the cross reference to an item. It works if I put it into the title of TODO item and click it for agenda view or from task search view or from the file view. However it does not work if I put it into the tile of sub item and clic it when working with the item. please, see the attached image.
As expected it does not work from the item notes.

Please advise.

Stay safe and thanks,

Sergei 

Thanks for reporting this. I'll look at adding support for links in the subitems list in a future update.

Thank you, Matthew. It would be absolutely wonderful if the link also worked from the note. It is recognized (blue color) but nothing happens when clicked...

thanks,

sergei

1 person likes this

I'll take a look at that also - ideally that should directly open that item (if it can be found). Thanks!

1 person likes this
+1 on links in notes working directly. Currently requires opening in outliner and then clicking through.
Login or Signup to post a comment