Start a new topic

How "safe" are my org files in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~appsonthemove~beorg/Documents/org?

To keep stuff in sync between beorg and my desktop, I have symlinked the org file from icloud to my home dir:

$ cd ~
$ ln -s ~/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~appsonthemove~beorg/Documents/org .

I have a few questions:

1. How safe is this? If I delete beorg (not that I plan to) will I lose all my org files?
  2. I assume this is saved to iCloud, but is it also caught by Time Machine?
  3. Is it better to do some different, e.g. symlink a home org dir (under time machine backup scope) to the icloud directory, as done below?

$ mkdir ~/org  # make an org dir at home
$ cd ~/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~appsonthemove~beorg/Documents/
$ mv org/* ~/org/
$ rm -rf ./org
$ ln -s ~/org .

What's the best practice here?

I realise this might have been the wrong forum to post this in. I'll repost in issues.

Admin: please feel free to delete this.

Some good questions, and to be honest I don't know 100% for most of these as they are about things to do with with how the Apple iCloud sync process works.

I'm particular I'm not sure how iCloud handles symbolic links as they won't necessarily work on other devices. I imagine that if you only have a symlink in iCloud to a directory on your computers storage that might not work. Symlinking to the iCloud directory is probably going to work better.

A search on the Apple forum shows differing opinions as to whether files in iCloud are backed up via Time Machine. I personally use Keyboard Maestro to kick off backing up all my org files to a zip file on Dropbox daily. 

Login or Signup to post a comment